This 403 error in WordPress occurs when the client cannot access the requested resource, even if they were properly authenticated. This is typically caused by incorrect file permissions or a restriction on the server.
How to Fix 403 Forbidden Error in WordPress?
You can use the steps listed below to try and solve 403 Error when viewing a WordPress website that has a 403 Forbidden error.
- Check the URL: Make sure the URL you are trying to view is correct and not broken.
- Make sure you have the correct permissions for files or directories: A 403 Forbidden error can happen if you have the wrong permissions to access a file or directory. To fix this issue, you can try changing the file permissions in WordPress by accessing File Manager in your hosting account or using an FTP client. All the folders should have a file permission of 744 or 755 and all files should have a file permission of 644 or 640.
- Deactivate WordPress Plugins: If you recently installed a plugin and started getting an error indicating that it was blocking your site, try deactivating the plugin by going to the Plugins menu in the WordPress dashboard and clicking “Deactivate” next to the plugin. Also, you can deactivate all the plugins and check your site. If the issue is solved then it is one of the plugins. Activate one by one to find the plugin that is causing 403 error in WordPress.
- Check your .htaccess file: The .htaccess file registers how your hosing server serves your WordPress site. A corrupted .htaccess file could cause a 403 Forbidden error. To fix this, you may want to create a new .htaccess file in the Settings » Permalinks page of the WordPress Dashboard through the Save Changes button.
- Contact your hosting provider: You can contact your web hosting agency if none of the other steps above have been successful. It’s possible that there is a issue with your account. In this case, you might need to contact your web host for further help.
I hope this troubleshooting can help you fix the 403 forbidden error you encounter with your WordPress site. Please do not hesitate to contact me with additional questions or if you require further support.